Love Thursday: Reading



Hey everyone! Did you know that May is Get Caught Reading month?! I can't think of anything more fitting to dedicate the first Love Thursday of May to than my love of reading. I'm the sort of person who literally cannot put down a good book. I will stay up till the wee hours of the morning just to finish a book. I will even take a book into the shower with me and hold it at arm's length while scrubbing away with my free hand.


Here is my own family caught in the act. Bedtime reading is a sacred ritual for all of us. Sometime when the kids are dawdling, we try and threaten to go without their bedtime books that night because all their fooling around has left no time for reading. But Alfie and I decided long ago that the benefits of reading to your kids far outweigh the extra five minutes it takes to squeeze in just one book. To avoid losing all parental authority, we've modified the threat from No Reading Tonight to Only One Book Tonight -- and a short one at that -- instead of the three or four or more books they usually ask us to read.

In fact, they probably look guilty in the picture because they know they've been caught reading waaaay past their bedtime.

For more expressions of love, click here.

And click here to see numerous Important People such as Laura Bush, Rosie O'Donnell, John Lithgow, various members of Congress, Yoda and Santa Claus -- all "caught reading"!

6 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Such a cute photo! I was going to do mine this week on my love of books/reading but then something else came up...now that I know it's Get Caught Reading Month, I have a couple more weeks to get on that ;)

Third Mom said...

Great photo! Funny you did reading - I did writing, my son's writing. Thanks for the tip about Get Caught Up on Reading Month - I need to!

Anonymous said...

This is our favorite sport:) Great photo!

Anonymous said...

We do the "just one book" thing too. It works like a charm! We love our nightly storytime as well as just stopping in the middle of what we're doing anytime Anna Sofia brings us a book. Guy makes up HILARIOUS, um, additions to her simple little baby books that make the older two die laughing. (Me too!)

Natalie (our oldest) is such an avid reader. She takes after me! (I, too, can't put down a good book). I'm so proud of that. :)

Heart of Rachel said...

What a nice moment to capture. My son also loves hearing a story before he goes to bed. His all time favorite is the story about the tin soldier and the ballerina.

PastormacsAnn said...

Special precious moments together! Reading is wonderful.

LOL - you reading in the shower! Now I've heard about reading in the bathtub but never in the shower.

Happy LT.