Gratitude Challenge: Day 11



“Can you see the holiness in those things you take for granted–a paved road or a washing machine? If you concentrate on finding what is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul.” — Rabbi Harold Kushner

I never take paved roads for granted.  I lived too long in a country where a good road was one where the potholes were the size of soccer balls instead of beach balls.  When Alfie complains about the state of the roads in the Bay Area, I nod and agree with him -- and really, I do agree with him, of course the roads ought to be fixed, where are our tax dollars going! -- but I can't seem to sum up the indignation that he feels.  One of the nicest things about having lived in a third-world country is that you will never, ever take things like infrastructure for granted.  Or hot showers.  Or showers, period.  I've lived in the US for 15 years, and even now, every time I step into a shower I revel in the wonderful sensation of hot, strong spray of water, and I feel blessed to be me.

When I was in grade school and we would complain about the incessant heat, our teachers loved to scold us with, "It's hotter in hell" (obviously I studied at a Catholic school).  My dislike for instilling fear of hellfire and brimstone in impressionable young minds aside, those teachers did have a point. 

No comments: