Christmas is where the heart is

All my life I've been accustomed to Christmases overflowing with family, friends, food, presents, parties, and all the other holiday stuff. I've spent Christmas by myself just once in my lifetime: in my first year of graduate school, when I couldn't afford to fly myself home. I spent it with some classmates, and although we had a fun Christmas dinner, I still spent most of the day by myself, and I cried pretty much the whole time I was alone.

This year we're spending Christmas alone, but tears are nowhere in sight, because I'm no longer an I, I'm a We. Our family of five is spending our very first Christmas by ourselves, with no grandparents, cousins, aunts or uncles. It's the first time we've been by ourselves for the holidays since we became a family.

It's a weird feeling. Not a sad feeling, just weird. And actually kind of nice. No parties to dress for, no formal photos to pose for, no emotions to stretch to fever point due to too many people, too much excitement, too much noise, etc.. etc.. etc... We're just going to lay low, stay in our pj's as long as possible, maybe even turn on the tv and zonk out on the couch. Of course I miss everyone else, but I have my own family with me, and I couldn't wish for more.

Merry Christmas to friends and family, near and far. Well, pretty much far. But we're with you in spirit, and our hearts are warmed by all the love and support you've given us, wherever you are!

2 comments:

Elizabeth @ My Life, Such as it is... said...

Merry Christmas!

Asianmommy said...

A nice little Christmas at home sounds lovely. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.