Grilled cheese and mushroom sandwich


Today is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day, but I didn't find out about it until mid-morning, so I wasn't able to make grilled cheese sandwiches for the kids' lunch. I'm not about to let such a delectable holiday pass by without any fanfare, so naturally I put grilled cheese sandwiches on the menu for dinner.

Tonight's grilled cheese sandwich has two kinds of cheese, brie and cheddar.  It also has sauteed mushrooms, onions and roasted garlic.  I bought roasted garlic from the deli, then sauteed it with the mushrooms and onions for about 10 minutes.  Then I sandwiched the sauteed mixture with the brie and cheddar in a sandwich roll.

To grill the sandwich, I used our panini press, which has rendered our actual grilled cheese sandwich press obsolete ever since Alfie got it for our anniversary in November.  It's so easy to grill any kind of sandwich, of any thickness -- and it marks the sandwich with those pretty grill lines.  Every time we use it, I remember the days we spent in France and Belgium, sitting in chic little sidewalk cafes, munching on paninis.  Our panini press doesn't just serve up great food, it serves up great memories as well :)

Happy National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day! Here's hoping your grilled cheese sandwiches bring back lots of good memories for you.


Pin It

No comments: